Skip to main content

Shift logic

• Russell Colman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
28 Feb 2005 00:40 #2910 by Russell Colman
Replied by Russell Colman on topic Shift logic
Thanks for the tip Josh.

Turned out that wasn’t exactly the problem, but you put me on the right track.

Fault was due to an intermittent connection below the blue lead post within the solenoid box. Took several hours to find this out though. An effective but fairly crude fix was achieved by making an external connecting bridge between the two blue wire posts.

Saved having to remove and undo the solenoid box, all of which I’ll leave to some other time.

Now back to shifting superbly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
24 Feb 2005 14:51 #2908 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Shift logic
Likely a short in the blue wire, which (among others) runs from the shift selector on the steering column to a terminal on the solenoid box, and from the solenoid box to the neutral switch on the shift cylinder.

If you can't distinguish the colors on your wires anymore, get a color-coded shift wiring diagram on my website, www.automaven.com . (You'll find it at Technical >> Gearshift wiring.)

Good luck!

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Russell Colman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
24 Feb 2005 12:50 #2907 by Russell Colman
Shift logic was created by Russell Colman
If some logic guru could help me on this one I'd appreciate it.

My transmission's shifting, which was working fine, has stopped on one vital action. It does everything except move from R,2 & 4 back into neutral. All other shifts work OK.

I can get it out of R & 2 by selecting 1 & 3 respectively, but once it goes into 4 I can't get it back because there's no gear opposite to select and so 'pull' it out.

The fact that it shifts for & aft into and out of 1 & 3 suggests the vaccum sealing is fine.

I've checked all the switches and they're doing what they should, and a check of a couple of helpful newsletter articles with wiring diagnostics checks that I've followed reveals all is OK with the electrical logic.

What I can't really get my head around is that it shifts forward OK for 1 & 3, but not for R, 2 & 4, and it appears all the switches are where they should be.

Any/all thoughts would be much appreciated.