Skip to main content

Lock Ring Wheel Mounting

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
17 Mar 2018 17:38 #34324 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Lock Ring Wheel Mounting
I have to agree how dangerous these rims can be. You tube has many videos showing rims exploding. Please be careful how this job is done...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2018 07:33 #34320 by Ivor
Replied by Ivor on topic Lock Ring Wheel Mounting
Hello Curtiss,
As Mike said , the mounting will be more dangerous, I strongly recommend you take your wheels to a truck tyre fitter with a cage. Although lock rings have been used for many years and are considered safe other issues like mismatched, worn or incorrectly fitted rings can cause serious injury and death. My recommendation is never stand in front of or use a hand held inflator with these rims. Stand well back and out of harm way while inflating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
16 Mar 2018 03:56 #34312 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Lock Ring Wheel Mounting
You have a lock ring. A split rim was used in the twenties and the rim is actually split If you think you need tubes you probably need tires too. I have done mine myself. The hardest part is getting the lock ring off. Work the tire bead away from the lock ring to make it easier. Then you have to have some tire irons or big screw drivers and pry the lock ring off. Once you figure out how to get the first one of it is easier on the rest. I us duct tape on the chrome to try and keep the scratches to a minimum. Mounting is easier. If the lock ring once removed has a large gape between the ends after you remove it, the mounting will be more dangerous.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
16 Mar 2018 00:30 - 16 Mar 2018 00:30 #34311 by curtiss
Replied by curtiss on topic Lock Ring Wheel Mounting
It looks like this, I assume this is called a lock ring rim, is that the correct terminology, it has a split ring on the outside edge?
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Mar 2018 00:30 by curtiss.

• yorkgulch
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
15 Mar 2018 23:15 #34310 by yorkgulch
Replied by yorkgulch on topic Lock Ring Wheel Mounting
Try a truck service. They often have a cage for that. I believe your is a little different than a split rim.

Auburn 851

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
15 Mar 2018 21:27 - 15 Mar 2018 21:31 #34309 by curtiss
Lock Ring Wheel Mounting was created by curtiss
We ave a 31 Auburn with Lock Ring Wheels and we have no idea how old the tubes are so we are looking to put in new tubes. We live in TN so my first thought was to head down to Coker Tire but when I called they told me they no longer offer mounting service unless we buy both tires and wheels from them.

I have also called a few local tire shops and they have said no way, those things are dangerous :)

How are you guys with Lock Ring wheels getting tubes and tires changed, are you doing it your self? Are there any procedures or videos you have used?

Thanks,
Curt
Last edit: 15 Mar 2018 21:31 by curtiss.