1932 Auburn 8-100-A Cabriolet in Mexico

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • 8-100 A Cabrio's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
08 Feb 2018 16:26 #34124 by 8-100 A Cabrio
8-100 A Cabrio replied the topic: 1932 Auburn 8-100-A Cabriolet in Mexico
Thank you! I am very interested to talk to Mace also! Tim Wilson confirmed he purchased the car from Mason Maynard (from Chicago, he said, and we are obviously talking about the same person) and that he made new top and interior, plus some mechanical work, including new radiator core. He enjoyed the car a lot in old car rallies... and though it was a "keeper" he eventually sold it because of a divorce.

He also confirmed that the dual ratio axle worked when he had it, so it shouldn't be too complicated to get it running again. I will get to that soon.

What I did try to do is to look into the exhaust valve, but unfortunately there is non. It was removed at some point, so I have to look for one also.

Thanks!
Victor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
09 Feb 2018 20:48 - 09 Feb 2018 23:00 #34133 by 8-100 A Cabrio
I talked to Mace Maynard and he is a really great guy! He spent quite a while with me on the phone going over the car's history, what he did to it, and even gave some hints and directions as to how to solve the dual axle ratio problem (not working now).

This is what I got on the car's story:
- The car was sold originally in Omaha, Nebraska (that is what Mace thinks) and stayed there till 1959-1961 when it was advertised for sale for $750.
- It went to NW Illinois, where it was restored. Mace does not remember the place but it was apparently done by a man with one arm only. The car was apparently painted in an incorrect pattern for a 8-100A convertible, with the contrasting color on the top.
- From there, the story is not quite clear or better said, quite confussing, but he mentions the car was in Hawaii apparently on two different ocassions, having being sold by a dealer in Colorado.
- According to Randy, it was also in California in the late sixties and auctioned by RM in 1984.
- Mace said the car was at some point owned by somebody in Kentucky.
- Then, by Glenn Church from Illinois. Mace buys the car from the estate of Glenn Church who had been dead for 11 years. That should have been around 1994 and he had it for about 5-6 years. During his ownership, he had all the mechanical components done (engine, axles, driveshaft, he balanced the wood wheels and got dual sided whitewall tires, etc.) by Freemont auto in Freemont, OH. He mentions the car was very complete and very correct, including carburator and fuel pump, and it could ride to about 70-75 mph with great ease and no vibration on the wheels. By that time, the car had vinyl interior with good craftmanship on the seat but not on the doors.
- He sells the car around 2000, to Tim Wilson who is a mechanic and used and enjoyed the car in old car rallies. During his ownership he installed a new clutch , new wood on the rumble seat , built linkage for the pilot ray lights and had the radiator recored. Tim also had a new top made plus new upholstery, unfortunately in vynil again. He installed the beautiful chrome wire wheels and Firestone one sided whitewall tires. He had the car for around 13 years and sells it due to a divorce.
- He sells it to Jose Rivero Colado in 2013, who imports it to Mexico and in 2016 he gives it as payment for another classic to a friend of mine from whom I get it in September 2016.
If somebody can complement the story, I would appreciate it.
No wonder that with all the work that Mace had done plus Tim's expertise as a mechanic, the car really rides great. I only need to get the dual ratio working and find the exhaust cut out for it.
I plan to do a cosmetic restoration on it, maintain the black with carmine combination but change the pattern (I need to find out the correct way that was used on 8-100A... any help will be appreciated).
I also intend to do leather upholstery (I am debating with myself over using leather matching the carmine color or black, and see if i can find a snakeskin pattern leather, as I read in some other posts that it was used by Auburn in those years).
Enough for now... thanks!
Victor
Last Edit: 09 Feb 2018 23:00 by 8-100 A Cabrio.

• Jonathan Richards
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
09 Feb 2018 21:41 #34134 by Jonathan Richards
Jonathan Richards replied the topic: 1932 Auburn 8-100-A Cabriolet in Mexico
Hello Again , Victor, You are really establishing great provenance on your cabriolet. If it was sold new in Omaha, Nebraska the Auburn dealer was Mcininch Moto Company at 2017 Harney Street , Omaha, Nebraska. They were a Packard dealer as well. I am familiar with the dealer named because my grandfather purchased new from the same dealer a 1932 Auburn 12-160A brougham which is still on the road and owned by an ACD Club member. As to the Omaha period you indicate it ended in 1961. The dash tag showing attendance at a car event in 1963 says otherwise. "Doc" Elsner of Crete, Nebraska was a big time member of the Omaha car clubs and owned a Duesenberg J Tourster. Keep us posted on your great car, Jack Richards @ Chesterfield, MO , USA
The following user(s) said Thank You: 8-100 A Cabrio

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
09 Feb 2018 23:33 - 09 Feb 2018 23:54 #34135 by 8-100 A Cabrio
Hi Jack, and thanks for helping complement the story. Interesting to know it might have shared space with a Packard in the dealership... same as it does now with my 1933 Packard eight convertible coupe. So, per the plate, it may be safe to consider it could have been a few more years in the area. All of the history really means nothing now, but it sure is interesting to know a bit more about the car. History means more when you know it and can still see it, like with your Grandfather's car! Congratulations! I hope you can eventually get it and get it back into the family!

Just as Mace mentioned on the phone, that "Doc's lake" event tag has helped us establish more accurately which car we are talking about and some if it's history. He suggested I should not remove the plaque... to which I said I would but promised to keep the plaque but attached with a magnet to the dashboard, not permanently attached as it is now... which by the way was set there to cover a hole that probably should not exist and I will eventually correct.

And just as "Doc's lake" may be a landmark in the area the car was originally from, I am attaching a few pics of the car with a couple of the many landmarks we have here in Queretaro... an acueduct built around 1730 to bring water to the city, and the old train station, built in 1903. Queretaro never was a very important city... therefore the size of the station.

Last Edit: 09 Feb 2018 23:54 by 8-100 A Cabrio. Reason: Pics not loading correctly...

• auburnandyscar
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
11 Feb 2018 05:41 #34140 by auburnandyscar
auburnandyscar replied the topic: 1932 Auburn 8-100-A Cabriolet in Mexico
Great pictures and car!
It looks as if you are really enjoying it.

Check out my build at:
www.1932auburnsedan.com

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
14 Feb 2018 19:40 - 14 Feb 2018 19:42 #34166 by 8-100 A Cabrio
Thanks!

Guys, here are 3 questions on the car's correct general aspect: I am planning on doing a cosmetic restoration soon. It looks good on pics but remember pics help... plus I would like to return the car to a correct pattern for an 8-100A.

1. I am thinking of doing the car in black and carmine again, but painting the body black but all of the "raised" areas or mouldings in carmine. Most Speedster I have seen are done that way. But before I do it I would like to ask if that was a correct possible way of having a cabriolet originally in 1932.

2. Also, are blackwalls a correct item? Since it has chrome wheels (gorgeous, by the way), I believe it already woudl have enough "sparkIe" to it. I understand most cars now have and probably were delivered with dual sided whitewalls, but I would love to know if blackwalls were available.

3. Finally... was a black top acceptable? Or should I plan on leaving the tan top?

Thanks!
Victor
Last Edit: 14 Feb 2018 19:42 by 8-100 A Cabrio.

Time to create page: 0.335 seconds