Skip to main content

Timing Chain Alignment

More
10 Dec 2018 22:57 #36114 by Ivor
Replied by Ivor on topic Timing Chain Alignment
Hello Curtiss,
As you have the head off it would be a good time to check the actual cam timing, from the information I have for the 8-105 you first set the valve clearance at 0.012" (this is for timing only not running) The inlet opens 5 degrees before UDC the inlet closes 40 degrees past LDC the exhaust opens 50 degrees before LDC and the exhaust closes 10 degrees after UDC. This should be in the 8-105 owners handbook and also in the 1930 and later service manual. If you do not have these they are available from the ACD museum store, the new store website is now up and running. Also see previous post by Mason Maynard 7th March 2010.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
04 Dec 2018 13:36 #36064 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Timing Chain Alignment
It will run better with 13 teeth. Stan made that diagram many years ago, hundreds of Auburns have been timed that way. This has become the horse and water thing.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
04 Dec 2018 01:57 #36061 by curtiss
Replied by curtiss on topic Timing Chain Alignment

curtiss wrote: I went down and looked at mine which came out of a running engine and there are only 12 links, I did not think they would run very well being a tooth off??? This one ran pretty good before it came apart.

Any guidance on this, the procedure shows there should be 13 pins between the dots but on the one that came out of a running engine only had 12 pins between the dots?

I did not think they would run very well being a tooth off??? This one ran pretty good before it came apart.

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
25 Dec 2017 15:26 #33943 by curtiss
I went down and looked at mine which came out of a running engine and there are only 12 links, I did not think they would run very well being a tooth off??? This one ran pretty good before it came apart.

Also how much play should there be in a good chain?

Attachments:

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
25 Dec 2017 14:24 #33942 by curtiss
Thanks, this is very helpful. I will go see if this matches my as installed :)

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
25 Dec 2017 12:24 #33941 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Timing Chain Alignment
this should help

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt
Attachments:

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
25 Dec 2017 04:36 #33938 by curtiss
Timing Chain Alignment was created by curtiss
In the process of taking the 1933 8-105 apart I was thinking about re-assembly and when I got to the timing chain I could not figure out how it gets aligned, I see makes on the gears and 2 on the chain but no matter how I spin it I can not figure out what I will need to align on when I re-assemble. I also looked in the manual and could not find a process of this.

How do you align the crank and cam when installing a new timing chain?

Attachments: