Skip to main content

Lycoming 8-98 Parts Sources

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
21 Dec 2017 05:18 #33891 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Lycoming 8-98 Parts Sources
After examining a couple engines that were converted to inserts I would give a second thought about inserts. I had valve springs made at Jade MFG. in Romulus Mi. 734-942-1462 for a non ACD car.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
20 Dec 2017 23:39 #33888 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic Lycoming 8-98 Parts Sources
Hello Merry Christmas . Ross Pistons make a good piston . Main bearings are an insert shell but you will have to line bore them to the crank. Rods are semi soft Babbitt because the crank surface is not that hard . R

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
20 Dec 2017 16:22 - 20 Dec 2017 16:23 #33887 by curtiss
Lycoming 8-98 Parts Sources was created by curtiss
I am looking for recommendations and guidance on Lycoming 8-98 Engine parts sources.

I have located replacements for the timing chain, valves, and guides but This is what I still need:

Pistions - I am aware of Egge, are there any others?

Rods/Insert Bearing part number - My rods are Babbitt but I want to convert to inserts. Does anyone have insert part numbers so we can get a machine shop to modify the rods, I have heard some "Alison something ???" bearings might be the ones? Are there any sources to buy rods that are already set up for inserts?

Valve Springs - I want to replace the valve springs, any sources or replacement part numbers for replacement valve springs?

Main Bearings - I would like to convert the mains to inserts, I know there are some modifications that will need to be done and have hear about modifying some Chrysler rod bearings to be mains but still have not found part numbers others have used, a part number would be helpful.

CAM Bearings - Is there a new cam bearing that is available or are you all just reusing the existing if they look ok?

I know this is a lot but any help is appreciated.

Curt
Last edit: 20 Dec 2017 16:23 by curtiss.