Skip to main content

How much can you over bore a 8-98 and 8-105?

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
20 Dec 2017 16:07 #33886 by curtiss
Replied by curtiss on topic can you over bore a 8-98 and 8-105?
Thanks, I am hopeful we can get away with no more than 30 over as they did not look too bad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
20 Dec 2017 16:02 #33885 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic can you over bore a 8-98 and 8-105?
Hello Merry Christmas. Do not bore a Lycoming engine more than .080 over. R

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
19 Dec 2017 12:48 #33881 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic How much can you over bore a 8-98 and 8-105?
I keep mine in a squeezable ketchup squirt bottle.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
19 Dec 2017 04:31 #33879 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic How much can you over bore a 8-98 and 8-105?
As far as the "home brew" penetrating oil, what keeps the acetone or lacquer thinner from evaporating out of the mix unless used immediately?
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
19 Dec 2017 04:26 #33878 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic How much can you over bore a 8-98 and 8-105?
These blocks are notaries for cracks around the valve seats and in the valve guide area. Be sure and have the block magnafluxed after it is cleaned up. Remember that hot tanking it will remove the Babbitt. Don't invest too much money in it till you are sure there are no cracks. The long term success of repairing a cracked block are not great.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
18 Dec 2017 03:24 - 18 Dec 2017 03:29 #33873 by curtiss
Replied by curtiss on topic How much can you over bore a 8-98 and 8-105?
We completed taking the engine apart today, though a few of the cylinders were in bad shape we were able to get all of the pistons out. All of the rod and main bearings still looked good and had oil. The pistons and valves will need to be replaced and an overbore or re-sleeve in the holes. The cam looked good but the timing chain was stretched a bit.

Will have to hit a machine shop to see what can be done.

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Dec 2017 03:29 by curtiss.

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
17 Dec 2017 21:20 #33872 by 1748 S
ATF acetone is good but using it comes with cautions. Acetone is absorbed and will not leave the body easily. It builds up in the kidneys. Should you choose to use it protect yourself.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
17 Dec 2017 18:04 #33871 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic How much can you over bore a 8-98 and 8-105?
A couple of years back a scientific study was done:
Penetrating Oils

Machinist's Workshop Mag recently published some information on various penetrating oils that I found very interesting. Some of you might appreciate this. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts.

They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil Average load
None 516 pounds
WD-40 238 pounds
PB Blaster 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench 127 pounds
Kano Kroil 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix 53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results.

Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is almost as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is the best and you can also use ATF- lacquer thinner 50 - 50 mix.

ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
17 Dec 2017 02:31 #33870 by 1748 S
I agree with soaking the cylinders and pistons as already posted. Puechase some Aerokroil from Kano Labs online. The Aerokroil will cut thru all that rust and loosen it up. Nothing works better.

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
17 Dec 2017 02:22 #33869 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic How much can you over bore a 8-98 and 8-105?
You might want to soak the engine in penetrating oil repeatedly and delay the disassembly for a couple weeks
Pete

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
17 Dec 2017 00:53 - 17 Dec 2017 01:00 #33868 by curtiss
A while back I picked up a spare engine and the tag has a GU68870 and I was led to believe it came out of a boat tail that had a hotter engine installed in it but I am not quite sure of the year. It has an updraft manifold so maybe a 8-98?

This engine was out in the elements for many years before I rescued it and I just started taking it apart today. The bottom end and valve area looked decent, no signs of corrosion. I wish I could say the same for the cylinders, we will drop the crank and try to get the pistons out tomorrow :) I have never had one of these apart before so I have never seen so much safety wire and cotter pins securing bolts in an engine ever before :)

Here is my question, looking at the condition of the cylinders a few are pitted pretty bad and they seem to still be the original 3 inch bore. How much can you safely over bore or can these be re-sleeved?

Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Dec 2017 01:00 by curtiss.