Skip to main content

898A carb fire

• gnutting
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
18 Nov 2017 02:46 #33788 by gnutting
Replied by gnutting on topic 898A carb fire
2nd photo, wouldn't go on the main message.

Jack Triplett
1931 Auburn 898A speedster
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gnutting
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
18 Nov 2017 02:37 #33787 by gnutting
nete

Thanks for inquiring. I've been pondering the whole matter, here's 'progress' to date.

I got the repro air cleaner, bought from 'samsonized' who posted parts for sale on the forum. It's nicely made. The seller assured me that it would fit the '32 8-100, and we both agree that the parts book for '31 8-98 (my car) lists no air cleaner, so the question is: Does the '32 cleaner fit the '31 car? Both use Schebler carbs, at least the early 8-100s do.

Samsonized's air cleaner is a bit different shape from the one on Bob Esten's car (Pete's photo, this thread). The new cleaner has inner and outer shells, both perforated, no way to put steel wool, or whatever is in Esten's air cleaner (Pete's photo), inside. But the big problem: There is very little space on my car between carb air intake and the steering box (see photo). The photo angle makes it a bit hard to see, but at its closest, a ¼ inch drill is a pressure fit between carb air intake and steering box. Then, the 'snout' of Simonized's air cleaner is shorter and has a different angle contour than the one on Esten's car (compare 2nd photo with Pete's photo), and the cleaner might be a little bigger. No way I can get the new air cleaner on the carb without removing the carb (which I don't want to do for more than one reason) and I'm pretty sure I couldn't get the carb back on with the air cleaner installed. Also, Esten's air cleaner might be in two parts, so one could remove the box without removing the shaft from the carb (to service the steering box, for example), but that's not likely to matter much for the fit problem.

What to do? The fit would be possible if the carb were an inch or so higher, but I can't see any spacer or any way that the height of the carb could be changed. Note that from the linkages and so forth, the two Schebler carbs seem the same, so I've ruled out an incorrect carb on my car.. Fit would be possible, also, if the steering box were just a bit more to the rear or lower, but that can't vary, can it? I suppose I can't rule our some restoration mistake from the previous owner's shop.

So at the moment, I'm stumped. Suggestions?

Jack Triplett
Attachments:

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
09 Nov 2017 00:27 #33766 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic 898A carb fire
How did the new air cleaner workout for you?

• gnutting
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
30 Oct 2017 20:06 #33738 by gnutting
2nd try on the photo, 8-89A carb

Jack Triplett
Attachments:

• gnutting
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
30 Oct 2017 19:57 #33737 by gnutting
More on the 8-98A fire:
1) Attached, if I can do it, an enlargement of the factory photo of the 8-98 carburetor. Can just see something in the mouth of the carb air intake, I'm presuming a flame arrestor. Missing from my car.
2) Thanks to Pete Kelly for posting the air cleaner pic.
3) Studying the 8-98 and 8-100 parts books, 8-98 does not mention an air cleaner, 8-100 lists one (part #J10052), but does not illustrate it. Probably like Pete's photo, and if so Bob Esten's car likely has a post-production retrofit. But there were two carbs for 8-100, Schebler, which was replaced by Stromberg.
4) An old Chilton's shows Schebler model T (8-98) and Stromberg model URO-2 (8-100). They look to be similar shapes, so might take the same air cleaner. [Re: Neil Ziff's 8-95: Chilton's says it used Schebler model U and Schebler model S-Duplex. From the book's drawings, they might not orient the same as the later Schebler, but hard to tell much from drawings.]
4) I found a reproduction air cleaner on ebay (rather expensive), have ordered it, but it's not here yet, so haven't tried it. Wish me good fortune!
5) Mike's point: Exactly right—why did it backfire thru the carb? Has never happened before, but I'd just as soon it didn't happen again.
I used a fair amount of choke that day (it didn't start right away) and I always use the spark control, which I've presumed retards the spark, that's what happens with other cars I know that have spark controls. BTW: the owner's manual says very little about the spark control, essentially nothing with respect to starting the car.
My logic (which might not be correct) says that a backfire thru the carburetor would happen when the spark is too far advanced, not when it's retarded. I might have flooded the engine a bit from cranking on the starter, tho I've cranked it a lot more in past case, but that wouldn't by itself produce a backfire, if the ignition is right. But how could the spark be too far advanced from using the spark control? Unless, on the 8-98 it is a manual advance, rather than a retard for starting? Can that be the case?

Jack Triplett

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
17 Oct 2017 04:23 #33694 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic 898A carb fire
A spark arrestor will be good but the more important question is to correct the reason for the back fire.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2017 23:57 #33677 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 898A carb fire
I don't feel that filter arrester will compromise any carb air flow.

• Neal Ziff
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2017 18:31 #33674 by Neal Ziff
Replied by Neal Ziff on topic 898A carb fire
try, try again

Neal

• Neal Ziff
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2017 18:30 #33673 by Neal Ziff
that pic didn't seem to work. trying again

Neal

• Neal Ziff
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2017 18:28 #33672 by Neal Ziff
I have an 8-95 and the original carb is a Schebler UX51. When I did my rebuild I was fortunate to find a spark arrestor.

Neal

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2017 17:42 #33671 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic 898A carb fire
This is the air cleaner he is referring to.
Attachments:

• gnutting
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2017 17:19 #33670 by gnutting
898A carb fire was created by gnutting
I've always been concerned that my 8-98A speedster has no air cleaner (or flame arrestor) on the carburetor air intake (Schebler model T). And very little room between the carb and the steering column to mount one. Sure enough, I went to start the car today in preparation for a car show tomorrow, backfire thru the carb, set small fire on steering box (quickly extinguished, and never before have I needed the fire extinguishers I stash at the corners of my garage, but glad I have them handy). Bob Esten's very original 8-98 has a small elbow-shaped device on the carb air intake, probably original and would do the job, tho it must restrict the air flow. I've not found one like it. What do others do? (I think the 8-100 is different, and anyway at some point apparently they switched to Stromberg.)

Jack Triplett