Skip to main content

851 waterpump

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
26 Oct 2017 23:00 #33728 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic 851 waterpump
I am not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone. The heated coolant will open the thermostat with or without the hole. The hole will allow air and a small amount of coolant thru. The reason the factory put the 3/8 plug next to the thermostat is to bleed off the excess air in the head when filling the system. Air has no way of getting into the engine unless it is excessively low, then you have another problem . I am curious how many modern cars have a 1/8 hole in the thermostat. The principal is all the same.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
26 Oct 2017 18:00 - 23 Nov 2017 20:17 #33726 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic 851 waterpump
Mark, I have always followed advice from people who have successfully driven their cars (for years) - and tend to be engineer minded as well = when I do what they have done I generally get the same quality results (and I know you are pretty much the same for asking for help from such people as well). The first fellow who told me to drill the hole was a career mechanic who rebuilt my 1941 Cadillac engine (which I drove some 80K miles with no incidents), the engineer who drove dad's 851 40K miles post restoration, and a fellow who was running his 851 in the great Race for several years). I am sticking with the small hole to avoid air pockets.

JMM
Last edit: 23 Nov 2017 20:17 by johnmereness.

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
09 Oct 2017 17:55 #33660 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic 851 waterpump
John: I've drilled a small hole in the thermostat, as well and I think it's a good idea, but I talked to an old-timer that said it's not needed. I figure it's better to be safe than sorry anyhow

M

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
08 Oct 2017 15:59 #33658 by johnmereness
If you have the radiator neck off the head for any upcoming reason, I would proceed with drilling a small hole in the thermostat to better protect from air pockets. I have been doing such on my 851's and other cars - several old timer mechanics have suggested and .....

JMM

• ken dennison
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
07 Oct 2017 20:22 #33654 by ken dennison
Replied by ken dennison on topic 851 waterpump
I'm pretty sure the head was not bled when I filled the radiator.
A rebuilt water pump and new thermostat didn't hurt either
Ken

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
06 Oct 2017 17:05 #33645 by johnmereness
Ken, how did you come out solving the problem ?
Sidenote: I am a big fan of wires on suction side of radiator hoses - I have seen many collapse under load, including I had a terrible time with my 1941 Cadillac and then a friend suggested we put it on their dyno =l the problem became apparent in two seconds. Also, a good friend was complaining of overheating on their 1931 Auburn - and tried everything to find my quote of "well if all else fails I guess I would check to see that the impeller is loose on the shaft" proved correct. Also, I am a fan of drilling an 1/8 or so hole in the thermostat - eliminates air pockets. And, Mark is correct too - I run just at the base of the radiator filler neck and have to prop the hood up onto the cowl vent edge to check it with a flashlight - and it does make a mess when you overfill.

JMM

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
13 Sep 2017 20:10 #33555 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic 851 waterpump
I filled my radiator to the top, which resulted in water pouring out of the overflow after the engine warmed up.
You only need to fill the radiator so that the top of the core is covered with water. Otherwise, messy overflow.
Live and learn...

Mark

• ken dennison
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
12 Sep 2017 22:10 #33550 by ken dennison
2 days ago

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
12 Sep 2017 20:58 #33549 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic 851 waterpump
Ken when was the last time you flushed the rad or the block

• ken dennison
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
12 Sep 2017 20:36 #33548 by ken dennison
I can drive it for awhile then it overheats, I'll check that , could it be the impeller is the wrong one?. looking at it when it was off the vanes were to the right.
Ken

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
12 Sep 2017 20:02 #33547 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic 851 waterpump
Is the radiator actually boiling or just not flowing enough water from your newly invigorated water pump and puking out what it can't flow. Check with a heat gun to see what is happening. You should have about a 20 degree heat drop from the top of the rad. to the bottom. If you have a lot more than that your rad. is flowing water too slow and your rad. is not fine. Hope this helps.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• ken dennison
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
12 Sep 2017 18:38 #33546 by ken dennison
851 waterpump was created by ken dennison
I had my waterpump repaired and when i installed it ,the radiator started boiling over. I removed it and checked the clearances and they were fine. The thermostat works fine (165degrees) the radiator is fine HELP