Last Auburn Off The Assembly Line In Connersville

More
09 Jul 2017 23:28 #33243 by RandyEma
RandyEma replied the topic: Last Auburn Off The Assembly Line In Connersville
They continued to make truck, marine and passenger car engines till sometime in 1938. They still make aviation engines today.I am well aware of the floods but it did not put them out of business

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Terry Cockerell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
10 Jul 2017 11:37 #33247 by Terry Cockerell
Terry Cockerell replied the topic: Last Auburn Off The Assembly Line In Connersville
I am aware of the aviation side of the business. Apparently that plant was on higher ground and consequently missed out on the flood.
I suppose the key point is the foundry. As the engine factory continued to machine the blocks and assemble engines were they just using up the inventory of blocks or were more cast elsewhere. There must have been a considerable lead time casting engine blocks, hence a reasonable stock pile. I sent a request to the Williamsport Museum but have not received any information of significance.

T cockerell

More
10 Jul 2017 15:00 #33248 by RandyEma
Terry To my knowledge Lycoming only had one foundry. R

More
12 Jul 2017 02:01 #33259 by RandyEma
Hello. I just found a article in Motor Age October 1936 pg 54 stating that Auburn moves all departments to Connersville completing a move that had started in May with the Mfg. R

• Terry Cockerell
  • Terry Cockerell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
12 Jul 2017 11:07 - 12 Jul 2017 11:12 #33261 by Terry Cockerell
Terry Cockerell replied the topic: Last Auburn Off The Assembly Line In Connersville
Thanks Randy.
Looking at the production figures sheet that Curt supplied makes me wonder exactly when my Cord which has serial No 810 1586A was assembled ?
The first 810 Cord came off the production line on January 31st 1936, this car had Serial No 810 1101
From the production sheet 450 cars were made between January and the end of March. If the ID plates were added numerically the last one assembled in March was Serial No 810 1551. My car was sold on April 9th in Toronto. I can't believe that my car was assembled in early April then sold in Toronto on April 9th but maybe it was ?
We celebrate its birthday on April 9th. My Cord has Serial No 810 1586A

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last Edit: 12 Jul 2017 11:12 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding additional information to the reply

More
12 Jul 2017 11:52 #33262 by Curt Schulze
Curt Schulze replied the topic: Last Auburn Off The Assembly Line In Connersville
Randy, did Cord stamp the data-plates 1000 greater than the frame number like the Auburn's were?

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds