Skip to main content

Best Electric Fuel Pump?

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
24 Oct 2016 12:05 #31853 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Re: Best Electric Fuel Pump?
I run an Airtex E8902 back on the frame and a stock working AC pump on the engine. No regulator. They run in tandem. If the mechanical pump should fail the pulse pump pushes thru it. If the pulse pump should fail the mechanical pump will pull thru it.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
24 Oct 2016 03:19 #31851 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Re: Best Electric Fuel Pump?
I am using a Carter P60504 12V pump running on 6V on the Cord. I am using the same pump on a 1913 Stevens Duryea running on 12V. On the Auburn I am using a Airtex 6V pump E8011 with a 3 lbs. pressure regulator, with the inlet and outlet valves removed from the fuel pump. I have 2 1/2 lbs. pressure at the carb. at 60 MPH and 2 lbs. on acceleration.
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Justin Kerns
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Oct 2016 02:10 #31850 by Justin Kerns
Replied by Justin Kerns on topic Re: Best Electric Fuel Pump?
Really appreciate everyone's thoughts on fuel pumps. I'm still considering the options so all additional input is helpful!

Justin
1932 Auburn 12-160A Sedan
1933 Auburn 12-161A Sedan

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
23 Oct 2016 02:03 #31849 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Re: Best Electric Fuel Pump?
What is Mike Huffman running on his Auburn 851 Boattail and also on his Cord L-29 ?

JMM

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
23 Oct 2016 01:51 #31848 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Re: Best Electric Fuel Pump?
I have had two "dial in" pressure regulators more or less explode over a 6 year period (they were in front of a Carter rotary) on a 35 Packard Twelve (which I am cautious of as like the Auburn the Carb sits in the center of the engine verses out on the side) - fond of the Carter rotary, but not the dial in regulators (have been buying more race type regulators). I have countless Carter's running in cars - I only get a couple years service though. Have been recently running pulse types that are 2.5-4 lb rated (usually have to special order as can only get the 5-8 lb locally). On the 35 851 Phaeton I am running a Delco 12 volt in the tank pump that gives me lower pressure when running on 6 volts.

JMM

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
18 Oct 2016 15:30 #31837 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic Re: Best Electric Fuel Pump?
How about a carter rotary pump with a fuel requlator non face dial type. R

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
18 Oct 2016 12:10 #31836 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Re: Best Electric Fuel Pump?
Another school of thought: I prefer a pulse pump, as all newly manufactured diaphragms are ethanol resistant. I have had vane pumps stop with the very smallest piece of grit that somehow got thru the filter which is in-between the tank and the pump. My preference is Airtex. PM me I can give you further info.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
18 Oct 2016 04:17 #31835 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Re: Best Electric Fuel Pump?
Hi Justin, I sure hope your V12 doesn't use GPM. If so you might as well fill the back seat with fuel tanks. The pump should be rated at a fuel pressure. Usually 3 to 4 Psi. is sufficient. Beware of too much pressure. The pressure should be checked at the carbs. going down the road at say 50 MPH. Usually a gear rotor pump is best because it doesn't have any rubber parts that could be effected by ethanol. If you go on line and check out gear rotor pumps you will find many to chose from.
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Justin Kerns
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
17 Oct 2016 19:06 #31834 by Justin Kerns
Best Electric Fuel Pump? was created by Justin Kerns
I'm looking for feedback and advice on an electric fuel pump for our Auburn 12. It currently has one on it that's been in service since 1969 and is showing its age. I've received a couple recommendations for a Holley 6V rotary pump but can't find such an animal for sale anywhere.

What do you think about the different types? I have no idea what GPM the current pump is so not sure how to size a new one either. All thoughts are appreciated - thanks!

Justin
1932 Auburn 12-160A Sedan
1933 Auburn 12-161A Sedan