Skip to main content

Getting ready for Atlanta Concours this weekend

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
07 Oct 2016 19:12 #31819 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Re: Getting ready for Atlanta Concours this weekend
That is a lot of work since I saw you at Auburn ! Looks Nice.

JMM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bruce Beattie
  • Registered
More
07 Oct 2016 11:27 #31818 by Bruce Beattie
Replied by Bruce Beattie on topic Re: Getting ready for Atlanta Concours this weekend
Wow!!! It looks absolutely stunning. And thankyou for the story as I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. We don't get to see these in Australia!!

• Rlamb10769
  • Registered
More
06 Oct 2016 17:47 #31816 by Rlamb10769

curtiss wrote: Long story here :)

We heard about a new Concours being held in Atlanta in Oct and they were planning on featuring Auburns so being only 4.5 hours away in Nashville TN my wife got excited and entered her 31 Phaeton (which was not ready for a concourse, we barely made it to the Auburn festival).

A month ago we got notice we were accepted so we started minor spruce up. A few days later we found out they were using our car in the advertisements and they also used the picture of our car on a Billboard advertising the event at the busiest intersection in the Atlanta areas in Buckhead. Now the pressure was on to make the car look a bit more presentable :(

So for the past month we have been hard at work getting the Auburn ready for the Atlanta Concours. We started by cleaned and stripping any old loose paint on the chassis and laying down a fresh coat of black. Next we cleaned, stripped and sanded the engine and repainted it with a fresh coat of green paint. There were several areas around the fender strips that were beat up from road rash so we had a color match done and we cleaned up and re-shot the red trim on the rear fenders. We also had several areas where the blue needed to be re-shot so we took care of that while we were this far into it.

The harder part was replacing the running board rubber. The running boards had a smaller section of them done in rubber and the rest in paint. We decided to go back with the correct set up and as we all know Broadstreet seems to be the only game in town (and yes they are proud of them). Having never done this before it was scary working with some bits of rubber that cost over $1000 and being permanently glued down.

The process was to glue down the flat part first, let it set up in clamps for 24 hours then come back and glue and clamp the rounded part the next day. The first one I did I had a minor issue where the clamps were creasing the bottom rubber on the curved section so I had to do a little dress up after the glue set.

On the second side I bought a wood dowel about the diameter of a sharpie and that pushed the clamps away from the rubber edge enough for them not to interfere with the rubber. Overall they turned out nice for my first attempt.

I did not have the lower stainless steel edging so I had some made and it just arrived. The next part will be figuring out how and where to drill in it to mount it properly. That will not make it on the car before we leave on Friday. I also ran out of time to get the correct plug wires installed.

We also had a mobile interior repair guy come over to fix the minor nicks in the interior and one section on the carpet. Boy did that turn out great!

Oh, then we decided since we had the starter and generator off the car for the engine repaint lets get them rebuilt also. This project has turned into just one more thing every day.

We are finally very close to being finished, we load the car on the trailer tomorrow and hit the road to Atlanta on Friday.

Not perfect (nor really ready for a concours) but the car looks a whole lot more presentable than it did in Auburn so Atlanta, here we come. We are just going for the fun of it, we already know there is no way we will place at a show at this level.

If you guys are in Atlanta this Sunday drop by the show and visit! That is if the Hurricane does not wash us away.

Curtiss,
Looks good to me, best of luck in Atlanta.

Richard

Richard Lambert
ACD #3371

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
06 Oct 2016 16:35 #31815 by ilikescars
Sweet car! Should do well in judging, in my humble opinion

Mark

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
06 Oct 2016 04:16 #31814 by curtiss
Long story here :)

We heard about a new Concours being held in Atlanta in Oct and they were planning on featuring Auburns so being only 4.5 hours away in Nashville TN my wife got excited and entered her 31 Phaeton (which was not ready for a concourse, we barely made it to the Auburn festival).

A month ago we got notice we were accepted so we started minor spruce up. A few days later we found out they were using our car in the advertisements and they also used the picture of our car on a Billboard advertising the event at the busiest intersection in the Atlanta areas in Buckhead. Now the pressure was on to make the car look a bit more presentable :(

So for the past month we have been hard at work getting the Auburn ready for the Atlanta Concours. We started by cleaned and stripping any old loose paint on the chassis and laying down a fresh coat of black. Next we cleaned, stripped and sanded the engine and repainted it with a fresh coat of green paint. There were several areas around the fender strips that were beat up from road rash so we had a color match done and we cleaned up and re-shot the red trim on the rear fenders. We also had several areas where the blue needed to be re-shot so we took care of that while we were this far into it.

The harder part was replacing the running board rubber. The running boards had a smaller section of them done in rubber and the rest in paint. We decided to go back with the correct set up and as we all know Broadstreet seems to be the only game in town (and yes they are proud of them). Having never done this before it was scary working with some bits of rubber that cost over $1000 and being permanently glued down.

The process was to glue down the flat part first, let it set up in clamps for 24 hours then come back and glue and clamp the rounded part the next day. The first one I did I had a minor issue where the clamps were creasing the bottom rubber on the curved section so I had to do a little dress up after the glue set.

On the second side I bought a wood dowel about the diameter of a sharpie and that pushed the clamps away from the rubber edge enough for them not to interfere with the rubber. Overall they turned out nice for my first attempt.

I did not have the lower stainless steel edging so I had some made and it just arrived. The next part will be figuring out how and where to drill in it to mount it properly. That will not make it on the car before we leave on Friday. I also ran out of time to get the correct plug wires installed.

We also had a mobile interior repair guy come over to fix the minor nicks in the interior and one section on the carpet. Boy did that turn out great!

Oh, then we decided since we had the starter and generator off the car for the engine repaint lets get them rebuilt also. This project has turned into just one more thing every day.

We are finally very close to being finished, we load the car on the trailer tomorrow and hit the road to Atlanta on Friday.

Not perfect (nor really ready for a concours) but the car looks a whole lot more presentable than it did in Auburn so Atlanta, here we come. We are just going for the fun of it, we already know there is no way we will place at a show at this level.

If you guys are in Atlanta this Sunday drop by the show and visit! That is if the Hurricane does not wash us away.