Skip to main content

Reproduction Knock Off's 31-33???

More
08 Oct 2016 20:45 #31822 by gnutting
Replied by gnutting on topic Re: Reproduction Knock Off's 31-33???
Just back from Hershey. there, I saw a very heavy wheel wrench like mine, but it had a steel bar riveted a bit crudely over the tip of one end, in lieu of a cast pocket. The bar would keep the end of the knock off from coming out when you hit the wrench with a hammer. Also perhaps not an authentic tool.

Jack Triplett
1931 Auburn 898A speedster

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2016 01:06 #31807 by gnutting
Mike

You are undoubtedly right. I've seen another wheel wrench that has a sort of "pocket" at one end, which holds one end of the knockoff so it does not slip out when you hammer it. Mine does not have the pocket, and is slightly too short for the knock off cap end tips , must be the shrinkage factor you mention. The thing is so very heavy that I thought it must be an original, who would use that much metal for a repro??

jack triplett

Jack Triplett

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2016 02:45 #31746 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Re: Reproduction Knock Off's 31-33???
I believe bronze wrenches are reproductions. When they have been made in the past for L-29 Cords the wrenches are under sized because patterns were not made and no shrinkage of the alloy was taken into consideration. Can't say for certain on Auburn wrenches though.
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
14 Sep 2016 21:29 #31711 by curtiss
Replied by curtiss on topic Re: Reproduction Knock Off's 31-33???

gnutting wrote: A related question: I have a knock-off wheel wrench, very heavy bronze (I suppose), marked on the handle in large letters "Auburn 1931." And repro (again I suppose) knock offs on my 8-98A. The knock-offs have pointed tips, the wrench ends are a bit more rounded, so the tips of the knock-offs do not fit snugly into the wrench ends. Anyone know why? I presume I could file down the tips of the knock offs and rechrome, but that's a lot of work, and I don't know for sure that the knock offs are incorrect.

jack triplett

I think I have the same tool you are mentioning and it fits all 4 of the knock offs on my 31 but the beat up ones I have for my 32 it does not seem to fit, I assume because they have been beat up.

This is the shape of my good knock offs.

More
14 Sep 2016 20:45 #31710 by gnutting
A related question: I have a knock-off wheel wrench, very heavy bronze (I suppose), marked on the handle in large letters "Auburn 1931." And repro (again I suppose) knock offs on my 8-98A. The knock-offs have pointed tips, the wrench ends are a bit more rounded, so the tips of the knock-offs do not fit snugly into the wrench ends. Anyone know why? I presume I could file down the tips of the knock offs and rechrome, but that's a lot of work, and I don't know for sure that the knock offs are incorrect.

jack triplett

Jack Triplett

• Frank Guzik
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
14 Sep 2016 15:01 #31706 by Frank Guzik
Replied by Frank Guzik on topic Re: Reproduction Knock Off's 31-33???
If you have knock offs that are beat up but solid most chrome shops can reshape the knock off back to normal. I had 4 very beat up knock offs that Custom Chrome in Grafton OH made look like new.
Frank

Frank Guzik
1931 Auburn 898-A
Auburn IN

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
13 Sep 2016 20:47 #31699 by curtiss
Reproduction Knock Off's 31-33??? was created by curtiss
I was told I misses someone at the ACD parts swap meet that now has reproduction knock offs for a 31-33. Did anyone get contact info for them?