COPPER LINES

More
19 Aug 2016 05:24 #31557 by johnmereness
johnmereness replied the topic: Re: COPPER LINES
Curt, his rivets go into the case and will have a spiral drive screw just like we have on the 1935 for the Startix plate on the steering column

I actually have had good luck reused all my original drive screws - get under them with a really sharp miniature wire clippers and start prying (keep in mind they are spiral so do not pry out all at one time)

The Bijur will have a split rivet.

You may have to enlarge the wholes a little in the repro plate - I do with a miniature file as they are pretty delicate. I also put a little double sided tape under the plate - keeps them from rattling if by accident you do not get them to sit tight. Also pre arc them prior to installation (they may be reproduced flat, but tour generator and are curved.

Curt does a beautiful job stamping plates :)

JMM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2016 05:28 #31558 by johnmereness
johnmereness replied the topic: Re: COPPER LINES
Also, If doing AACA, CCA, or ACD, you should paint the base of the spark plug with satin black (they were originally gun blued or something similar in finish)

JMM

• Rlamb10769
  • Rlamb10769's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
19 Aug 2016 11:21 #31560 by Rlamb10769
Rlamb10769 replied the topic: Re: COPPER LINES
Thanks John for all the information, I can use all the help as I am new to Auburns.
Question; There are big differences in prices on EBay for the plates, some have a painted split and others are solid where the numbers go. Are 6V different from 12V?

Richard

Richard Lambert
ACD #3371

More
19 Aug 2016 11:39 #31561 by Curt Schulze
Curt Schulze replied the topic: Re: COPPER LINES
When purchasing tags be sure they are embossed. Contact Vivian LaVine in Indiana, LaVines are in the ACD directory. The dipstick, oil filler tube, and cap was green from the factory. the dipstick should have an 'S' on the top. The oil filter has a Pur O Lator decal. Note, the oil filler tube and cap are incorrect on the oil filter pix. That is also a 35-36 engine.

I found a pix of the original oil filter that was on my 898

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt
Attachments:

More
20 Aug 2016 01:04 #31565 by ilikescars
ilikescars replied the topic: Re: COPPER LINES
You have to admit that the black filler tube and the cad plated oil cap have a nice contrast to them, even though they may be incorrect

More
20 Aug 2016 11:42 #31566 by Curt Schulze
Curt Schulze replied the topic: Re: COPPER LINES
You are right Mark, it does look good ! So does chrome. When we do these cars, we can build them any way we want, after all they are our cars. I wouldn't have mentioned it, but Richard seems to be trying to build his car as authentic as possible. If he is planning on getting his car judged, it is a couple less checks on the score card.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds