Engine Oil Recommendations 8-105

• curtiss
  • curtiss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
15 Aug 2016 12:52 #31535 by curtiss
curtiss created the topic: Engine Oil Recommendations 8-105
I am looking for Engine Oil Recommendations for our 8-105. This one happens to be a fairly recent rebuild so it is very clean inside. As I recall some have recommended a straight 30 weight. It there a particular brand or weight you all like?

The next question is to have or add ZDDP in it or not. I heard early oils did not have ZDDP but not sure if that we correct.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
16 Aug 2016 03:47 #31539 by mikespeed35
mikespeed35 replied the topic: Re: Engine Oil Recommendations 8-105
I use Valvoline VR 1 in some cars and Rottela T in others. Both have ZZDP. When you start adding stuff to oil all bets are off. No telling what you have. Everyone has a different opinion as to oil and WT. The argument against mult vis. oil is our cars don't get hot enough to ever get the top vis. number, or should I say shouldn't. Multi Vis. will get to the vital components quicker on start up. On shut down straight wt. will stay on the parts longer before it runs off. As you see its a conundrum.
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

More
16 Aug 2016 12:20 #31541 by Curt Schulze
Curt Schulze replied the topic: Re: Engine Oil Recommendations 8-105
I use Shell Rotella T 15-40 It has ZDDP but it is not necessary for non high performance engines. ZDDP is only necessary for performance engines with high lift cam. ZDDP was invented after WWII by the the Lubriplate corp. It is convenient for me as it is the same oil I use in my Cummins diesel.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Aug 2016 13:10 #31550 by
replied the topic: Re: Engine Oil Recommendations 8-105
Might want to check out Brad Penn oils...they're supposedly old formula and I've found them cheaper than synthetics or racing oils.

More
19 Aug 2016 05:17 #31556 by johnmereness
johnmereness replied the topic: Re: Engine Oil Recommendations 8-105

JMM

• curtiss
  • curtiss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
22 Jan 2017 23:24 #32319 by curtiss
curtiss replied the topic: Engine Oil Recommendations 8-105
I have heard I should use a straight weight like a 30w or 40w. The book calls for 20W in cold weather and 40W in hot weather. I am in TN and do not use it in the cold much so was thinking a 30W or 40w Brad Penn which has ZDDP in it.

I would be interested in hear what weight everyone is using in their Lycoming straight 8's.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds