Needed - Water Pump for 1931 8-98

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
19 Aug 2016 15:57 #31564 by curtiss
Replied by curtiss on topic Re: Needed - Water Pump for 1931 8-98
Awesome, I just talked to Jason at Fremont Auto Parts and he said they are about 1.5 weeks to complete so I am shipping it off today to get in line.

Thanks for the info!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Frank Guzik
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
19 Aug 2016 15:39 #31563 by Frank Guzik
Replied by Frank Guzik on topic Re: Needed - Water Pump for 1931 8-98
The address and phone for Fremont Auto Parts is:
402 Justice St
Fremont, OH 43420
Phone: (419) 332-8296

They rebuilt my water pump quickly and with excellent results.

John Forsythe (he passed away in 2015)started the business and the business is carried on by the fellas that worked for him. John's 1932 Auburn won best of show at the Labor Day reunion. A really beautiful and correct restoration.

Frank

Frank Guzik
1931 Auburn 898-A
Auburn IN

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
19 Aug 2016 05:14 #31555 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Re: Needed - Water Pump for 1931 8-98
I LOVE Penrite steering box lubrication (in my steering boxes) so I would try their water pump grease without issue

JMM

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
19 Aug 2016 03:37 #31554 by curtiss
UPDATE:

I tried holding the outlet hose pinched closed with my hands and it barely pushed any pressure out.

I removed the water pump and removed the 4 bolts but for some reason the case is not separating and I did not want to break it so I figured I would ask for suggestions.

I could shine a light in the hose outlet and look in the drain plug and I could see what appeared to be an aluminum impeller and it looks a little chewed up. Additionally the shaft does not appear to be secured to the impeller as I could stick a screw driver in to stop the impeller from turning and I could turn the input shaft.

Looks like I will need to send it off for a rebuild but I need it back kinda quick as we have a show to go to in early October.

Are impellers available any place if this one has to be replaced?

Does anyone have a website or phone number for Freemont Auto Parts in Ohio?

• olvette64
  • Registered
More
15 Aug 2016 01:21 #31531 by olvette64
Replied by olvette64 on topic Re: Needed - Water Pump for 1931 8-98
Freemont Auto Parts in Ohio will rebuild it for you with a seal so it will not leak. They rebuilt the fan pulley on my 1931 Auburn with modern bearings and they had it back to me very quickly. They also lined my brake shoes. I was going to have them rebuild my water pump because it also had a very slow leak but I finally stopped it from leaking. I believe the owner or former owner of the shop also has a 1931 Auburn so they are very familiar with the cars. I have been very happy with everything they did for me.

More
12 Aug 2016 07:26 #31511 by Ivor
Replied by Ivor on topic Re: Needed - Water Pump for 1931 8-98
Hi Curtiss, I forgot to include this, A quick check to see if the water pump is working at all is to squeeze the pump outlet hose together with the hand and rev the motor, the hose should expand if the pump is working.

More
12 Aug 2016 07:21 #31510 by Ivor
Replied by Ivor on topic Re: Needed - Water Pump for 1931 8-98
Hello Curtiss,
In your previous post about over heating your test showed a differential three time more than I would expect normal, this to me indicates poor water flow due to core or other blockage or fault with the pump. To eliminate the pump I recommend you dismantle and inspect the pump. The pump is simple with few parts, though you will need to make a new gasket. Before removing shaft and impeller assembly I would back off the gland nut a few flats to allow the packing to relax this way you should not need to repack the gland. I would check condition of impeller though it would need to be very corroded with broken with missing vanes to give poor flow. Check the impeller to shaft dive pin is not sheared and check the tongue and spigot drive is not disengaged or worn out causing the pump shaft not to turn, if the pump is rotating and checks out OK the the problem is elsewhere. The photos are the main parts of the pump, New Bronze impeller and shaft assembly, shaft bush and gland packing.
Attachments:

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
11 Aug 2016 17:41 #31505 by curtiss
I found these two at Restoration Supply, is there a preference?

- Water Pump Grease 115 Calcium grease, NLGI # 4. Ideal water pump lubricant. 14 oz can. LUB003

- Penrite Water Pump Grease NLGI 4, Calcium based, waxy 50 grams LUB028

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
11 Aug 2016 16:52 #31503 by curtiss
Pete, I did snug the nut a bit but have not done grease yet. How tight should the nut be? I did not even realize there is water pump grease, where can that be purchased. That could be part of the issue.

It is a very small leak when it is running, seems to quit when parked.

The other thing I need to do is some how test if the pump is flowing water, I have changed everything but the water pump and radiator at this point :)

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
11 Aug 2016 16:42 #31502 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Re: Needed - Water Pump for 1931 8-98
Did you make sure the grease is getting to the bushing?
Do you use waterpump grease?
Did you try tightening up the gland nut?
Pete

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
11 Aug 2016 16:40 #31501 by curtiss
Needed - Water Pump for 1931 8-98 was created by curtiss
I am looking for a good or rebuild-able water pump for out 1931 8-98.

The one I have has a small drip and should be rebuild but I do not want to miss out on a few shows while it is being rebuilt.