1931 8-98 Cooling Update and still an issue

More
06 Sep 2016 00:32 #31645 by Auburn
Auburn replied the topic: Re: 1931 8-98 Cooling Update and still an issue
I have a 1932 8-100 and live in a hot climate with heavy city traffic.and yes I actually drive my cars in the week end into the city .

Had various cooling issues, adding a shroud helped a bit.

I own other classic cars from the 1930's but found that this type of lycoming engines are very sensitive to the air/gasoline mix. This made the biggest difference , more than advancing timing.

Try pulling the choke half or 1/3 and watch the temp go down.

You don't even need to spend time setting the carb , just adjust the choke when needed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2016 02:45 #31647 by 1748 S
1748 S replied the topic: Re: 1931 8-98 Cooling Update and still an issue
Cutting back on the air available to lower the coolant temps seems like the wrong way to go but if it works.. I'm sure going to try it.
My daily driver is an older F350 with an idi diesel in it. I installed a Banks turbo and have rebuilt the engine myself. I more than doubled my original horse power but now use a Rodney Red all aluminum radiator. I boost to 15 lbs too. More air also cools down the burn so we can increase the fuel to use the extra air available now. It's amazing what more air can do for these older diesels. BTW my cranking compression is 530 lbs. Bore is 4.110 as is the stroke. All that volume is squished into about 42 thousands area. Flat top heads and pistons too. No combustion area like a gasser..

More
08 Sep 2016 02:33 #31662 by johnmereness
johnmereness replied the topic: Re: 1931 8-98 Cooling Update and still an issue
Rich usually gets better cooling over lean

JMM

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds