Skip to main content

WTB - 8-98, 9-100 or 8-105 Running Engine

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
04 Jul 2016 04:11 #31344 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Re: WTB - 8-98, 9-100 or 8-105 Running Engine
They crack in the valve seats, sometimes running down in the cyl. bore. also in the valve guide area as you have experienced.
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Jul 2016 22:25 #31340 by curtiss
Replied by curtiss on topic Re: WTB - 8-98, 9-100 or 8-105 Running Engine

mikespeed35 wrote: Cracks in these blocks is very common. Replacement block is the best route. Because of this issue replacements can be hard to find. Make sure replacement is not cracked before starting machine work. Its not as simple as just putting your old block parts in the replacement block.
Cordially Mike

I figured the switch over might not be easy but anything would be a step forward from where I am today which is water running into my oil :)

I have a friend with a smoke machine so my next thing will be to drop the oil pan and run smoke into it to see if I can see where the other crack is.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
03 Jul 2016 05:10 #31335 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Re: WTB - 8-98, 9-100 or 8-105 Running Engine
Cracks in these blocks is very common. Replacement block is the best route. Because of this issue replacements can be hard to find. Make sure replacement is not cracked before starting machine work. Its not as simple as just putting your old block parts in the replacement block.
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Jul 2016 02:50 #31334 by curtiss
I have run into a snag with my 8-105 block and I am starting to look at options in case it is not repairable. I fixed one water jacket area with JB Weld then I filled it with water to see if that area leaked and it did not. I pulled the oil plug and saw a small steady stream of water coming out so there is another area cracked, will have to pull the motor and drop the pan to see how bad it is.

The car is a 1933 but it is a bit of a few different cars so I was wondering if anyone had a running 8-98, 9-100 or 8-105 engine for sale. Another option would be anyone with a good 8-105 block available to swap my parts over to.