Skip to main content

Starter for 1931 898-A

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
11 Nov 2015 12:48 #30572 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Re: Starter for 1931 898-A
Ya, I used to get notified when a post I subscribed to was updated. That work either.
I can see it checked below.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
10 Nov 2015 18:22 #30568 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Re: Starter for 1931 898-A

Curt Schulze wrote: I have pictures of a fix for poor grounding at the rivets in the end plate.

I attempted to post them here, however I get a HTTP ERROR. If you would like to see them, I will post over on the AACA website under ACD.

I too have gotten this same error post when attempting to put up pics. Funny thing is I can SOMETIMES POST PICS. Then the next pics will get the error message. Even if I try the same pics that have just been posted I still get the error message. What it wrong with this web site??/ I'm getting so unhappy with it lately.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
09 Nov 2015 13:25 #30558 by Curt Schulze
I have pictures of a fix for poor grounding at the rivets in the end plate.

I attempted to post them here, however I get a HTTP ERROR. If you would like to see them, I will post over on the AACA website under ACD.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
08 Nov 2015 18:31 #30553 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Re: Starter for 1931 898-A
Keep in mind that every part needs to be grounded to the next - too much paint can be an enemy. Clean off the paint on the block as well at mating surfaces, around bolts, between casing parts, and as curt says at rivets on end plate.

JMM

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
27 Oct 2015 12:02 #30487 by Curt Schulze
Check to be sure there is a good connection between the starter and the bell housing. I have found Auto-Lite starters will form corrosion between the rivets of the grounding brushes to the commutator end plate. They will ohlm out ok with a meter, but the connection is not good enough for the current the starter draws. When I rebuild starters I move the brush grounding directly to the case. Also the end plate must be making perfect connection to the housing. Some rebuilders merely replace the brushes and bendix and give it a coat of paint.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• michael arata
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Oct 2015 20:58 #30477 by michael arata
Starter for 1931 898-A was created by michael arata
I have had my starter rebuilt (twice) yet it still does not work. I would like to purchase another starter. Lycoming engine. Does anyone have a lead on where I might purchase a starter ? Thanks, MA