Skip to main content

windshield

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
29 Oct 2015 21:49 #30496 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Re: windshield
Thanks, that's something I did not consider. I'll try again after grinding out the channel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jamesbartlett
  • Registered
More
28 Oct 2015 19:28 #30492 by jamesbartlett
Replied by jamesbartlett on topic Re: windshield
Had the same problem with my '35 phaeton. Cracked new windshields twice after I removed a side post to install the windshield on the car, then attempted to slide the post back onto the glass and the mounting pin. I didn't change anything -- didn't see anything that I could change -- but for some reason the third time was OK and has been so for 20 years. I do remember being very gentle during the last installation. If you recently had the posts chromed, the plating may be too thick in the gas channel. I've experienced this before on other parts and found it necessary to grind off plating in hidden areas in order to get things to fit.

'35 Auburn S/C Convert. Sedan
'32 Duesenberg D/C Phaeton

• Curt Schulze
  • Away
  • Registered
More
22 Oct 2015 11:43 #30466 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Re: windshield
Mark, I don't know about the fabric , I use rubberized setting tape. That being said, it sounds like the upper and lower frames are out of wack.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
21 Oct 2015 13:15 #30453 by ilikescars
windshield was created by ilikescars
Anybody have experience with 35-36 cabriolet or phaeton windshield glass? I have installed glass twice, and both cracked. I was very careful and used the correct fabric liners. I put in the glass and it is fine for a day. I come back later and it has a long vertical crack in it.