Skip to main content

Dual Ratio Axle won't Shift

• geojunkie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
09 Aug 2004 02:51 #2051 by geojunkie
Replied by geojunkie on topic Dual Ratio Axle won't Shift
I am stuck in high and it is more a matter of principle to me, I like eveything to work too. How would one go about testing this in a garage? You need the engine running, and the car up in the air it seems.

Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
09 Aug 2004 02:40 #2050 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Dual Ratio Axle won't Shift
The vacuum probably isn't reaching the rear end. First, I'd check that all the connections are tight, and that the lines are in good shape. Then, there are a couple of vacuum valves in the system, a small one on the left side of the freewheeling unit, and the large one at the rear end. More than likely the seals in one or both are dried up. If the dual ratio was shifting until recently, I'd try the front one first. I had the trans out of my car a couple of years ago, and while I tried hard not to upset the vacuum system, when I reinstalled the gearbox, the rear end no longer shifted. It turned out to be the operating rod on the front valve. If the car hasn't shifted in some time, you will probably have to go thru both of them.

A number of owners will tell you that as long as you're "stuck" in high range, not to worry about it. I disagree for two reasons: 1. I like everything on my cars to work and 2. there are some hills around here I'd rather be in low range for.

Good luck!

Mike
8-100A

• geojunkie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
08 Aug 2004 22:11 #2046 by geojunkie
Dual Ratio Axle won't Shift was created by geojunkie
What is the best way to troubleshoot through the problem? I don't have a manual that covers this axle. The free-wheeling engages and works as it should, and the cable to the control seems to be intact.

Thanks,

Dan Ellis