Skip to main content

Restoring 1936 Auburn 852 Speedster DahBoard Gauges

More
28 Sep 2015 22:21 #30336 by curt
I have used RS Gauge Works in Phoenix and been happy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
21 Sep 2015 21:50 #30290 by johnmereness
I give Mike huge credit for being a skilled Engineer and a skilled Auburn - Cord Engineer.

JMM

• jal
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
23 Aug 2015 19:09 #30128 by jal
Good luck.

casa lopez

More
21 Jul 2015 13:45 #29948 by alsancle
Good luck with the gas gauge as it is a real bear to deal with but as Mike says can be made to work ... eventually...

• morrisgauge
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
19 Jul 2015 03:37 #29924 by morrisgauge
It would be advisable to send all of your gauges to an instrumentation shop for service. Each unit has it's own peculiarities, but generally speaking, they are not complicated designs. As with each of the units you described, I would first recommend having the ammeter serviced prior to any further running, as they can gain resistance and become quite hot while in use.

www.morrisgauge.com

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
29 Apr 2013 13:44 #25113 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Restoring 1936 Auburn 852 Speedster DahBoard Gauges
My gas gauge has worked for 6 yrs and aprox. 30,000 miles.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
27 Apr 2013 21:06 #25099 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Restoring 1936 Auburn 852 Speedster DahBoard Gauges
Amp Gauge - reach out to an Auburn parts vendors (ex. Curt Schulze, or ..... - there are several) or have yours rebuilt. It may also have the wiring flipped to the wrong side of terminals.

Gas Gauge - poor design and you can spend all the money in the World to rebuild it and still will work for a season at best. Good news is that on our 851 Phaeton the sending unit has an access hole in the trunk floor (though do not know about speedsters). For a new sending unit reach out to www.mykmlifestyle.com/ Tubing and fluid is available via Ford suppliers or I believe www.classicandexotic.com/

The on-off for the radio also turns on a light in the radio head - it is not as bright nor does it light green like the other gauges.

Trip Mileage is also poor design - I can usually get it to work for a while and then .....

JMM

• Bobavet
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
26 Apr 2013 03:00 #25081 by Bobavet
Gents,

I also posted this in the Restoration Tips section of the Forum. Forgive the repetition, but I thought I might reach more members this way.

I recently purchased a 1936 852 Boat Tail Speedster. While most of the original dashboard gauges function, a few do not. I'm seeking advice and/or an expert who can restore the following:
Engine stats gauge (left gauge): Oil Pressure and Temperature function, the Amps and Gas Level do not. The Gas Level may be a faulty sender in the tank? Speedometer: Speed and main Odometer function the lower "trip" Odometer does not. The Oil Warning Light does not function (may be as simple as a burnt-out bulb). Auburn-Crosley Radio Dial & Knobs: Needle on Dial rotates when right "tuning" knob is turned. Left On-Off Volume knob appears to be non-functional. Clock: Non-functional. Auburn-Crosley Radio Box: Mounted vertically under the dash to the right of the Auburn Heater. Appears to be non-functional.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Robert Diepenbrock
Chandler, Arizona