Skip to main content

Positive Ground

More
19 Apr 2004 18:26 #1603 by Terry
Replied by Terry on topic coil polarity
If your car has a Negative grounded battery. The minus or negative post of your coil always connects to the distributor.
If your car has a Positive grounded battery. The positive side post of your coil always connects to the distributor.
Easy way to remember is !
Positive ground-Positive to Distributor
Negative ground-Negative to Distributor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
29 Mar 2004 13:04 #1502 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Positive Ground
The coil will work eather way. BUT it works more efficiently if the ignition wire (hot) which is minus goes to the minus side of the coil. The reverse is true for neg. ground. In other words just trace the hot wire.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Lee Davis
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
27 Mar 2004 02:18 #1494 by Lee Davis
Positive Ground was created by Lee Davis
Well, here is a question that has me puzzled, and it doesn't really have to do with my Auburn. I have a 1955 MG ZA Magnette that I am restoring, and it has a "Positive Ground" system. The original coils were not noted + and -, but had typical british cryptic notations. The new coil I have for it has a plus and minus, and so I am unsure where to connect the leads. Where does the + coil wire go on a positive ground system? (I assume that the MG and the Auburn are the same in little else but this regard). The MG people are in total disarray and confusion about this. Can the Auburn crowd shed some light? Thanks! Lee Davis, Albuquerque