Skip to main content

851 SC Fuel Gauge

• morrisgauge
  • Registered
More
19 Jul 2015 17:16 #29930 by morrisgauge
Replied by morrisgauge on topic Re: 851 SC Fuel Gauge
The hydrostatic gauges often become plugged by the original bromide fluid and require a deep cleaning to become functional again. The tank units have a number of brass "catches" to even out air pressure, etc. which often stress crack and require repair. Airline kits and new fluid for the King Seeley gauges are available from many Ford suppliers and are advisable to replace rather than reuse. I will attempt to attach an instruction sheet that may be educational on the operation and calibration of said gauge.

www.morrisgauge.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
24 Sep 2011 02:06 #21032 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic 851 SC Fuel Gauge
I spent alot of time trying to get my telegage to work properly. I was successful up to a point, but the accuracy is not perfect. I still like the dipstick method over the telegauge.
One problem I ran into was the air tube accumulated some white phosphorsesence that blocked it up. Not sure why. Seems like a crude system to begin with...

• Rogerlearmonth
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 Sep 2011 12:36 #21025 by Rogerlearmonth
Replied by Rogerlearmonth on topic Fuel Gauge
Mark,

I hear what you say. The stick idea is a good one. It?s one of those things. The gauge and sender are there and supposed to work so it would be nice to have them operational.

Roger

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
22 Sep 2011 11:01 #21024 by ilikescars
Roger: No. You would have to drop the tank. Personally, I don't trust the gas gauge on my speedster. I just keep a wooden dowel behind my seat and use it as a dip stick to check the gas level. I don't drive the car enough to worry about running out of gas on the road.

Mark

• Rogerlearmonth
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 Sep 2011 07:30 #21023 by Rogerlearmonth
Replied by Rogerlearmonth on topic Fuel tank unit
Glen,

Unfortunately, from a tank point of view my car is a BT Speedster. From the geometry, I assume there is no access to the unit in the tank without dropping it, or is there?

Roger

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
21 Sep 2011 22:54 #21020 by ilikescars
Roger: If you have a cabriolet, you can inspect the top of the tank by removing the seat-back and slats, then crawl into the back of the car with a flashlight and standard screw driver. Take off the small oval plate by removing the screws. I was able to do it, and I am not a small person.

You will be able to see the tubes coming up from your pickup unit.

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
21 Sep 2011 22:47 #21019 by ilikescars
Auburn 653: I'm sure Curt can help you with the specs. My tank unit is buried in a box with a ton of other parts.

Mark

• auburn653
  • Registered
More
21 Sep 2011 12:34 #21018 by auburn653
Replied by auburn653 on topic 851 SC Fuel Gauge
Mark,
Can you post the specs? I have a spare tank unit that I don't know what it fits for sure (came with mixed parts including 31-36 parts). I know it has general shape, etc. of the one in my 35, but, it's been 10 years since I last had it out of the tank.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
21 Sep 2011 11:12 #21017 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic x
Justin, read the first post. the OP has joined the club, but has had no response.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Justin Kerns
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2011 23:48 #21015 by Justin Kerns
Replied by Justin Kerns on topic 851 SC Fuel Gauge
Hello Roger and welcome! I strongly suggest that you join the club in order to benefit from all of the resources it has to offer. You can join via this link:
phpstack-1081784-3880776.cloudwaysapps.com/html/join.html

I also recommend you buy the club Newsletter DVD. It has searchable pdf files of all club newsletters back to 1952. You can search for your car and find all technical articles that have ever been written. You can order this and other great items here:
shop.phpstack-1081784-3880776.cloudwaysapps.com/

Justin

Justin
1932 Auburn 12-160A Sedan
1933 Auburn 12-161A Sedan

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2011 23:22 #21014 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic z

auburn653 wrote: Is pickup tube diameter only difference between SC, 8 cyl, 6 cyl ? Don't they all use the same tank (34-36)?

The s/c fuel line is 5/16 OD all other cars are 1/4 OD. All fuel tanks are the same size. The speedster has a different P/N because the filler neck is different. The fuel pickup / telegage sender has a different P/N as well, due to the female fitting on the fuel pickup line.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2011 23:18 #21013 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic x

auburn653 wrote: 3435A would be a non-supercharged Sedan, frame number 2435.

if frame 435, and supercharged, wouldn't it be 31435A?
Curt, can you confirm?

yes

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Rogerlearmonth
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2011 21:27 #21010 by Rogerlearmonth
Replied by Rogerlearmonth on topic 851 SC Tank Unit
Thank you to everyone who has responded to my various queries. I now have a picture of the tank unit and have sourced a replacement through this forum. The response and success has been very impressive, thank you again.

Being completely new to Auburn ownership, I?m certain I shall be back many times, cap in hand, to beg further information.

Roger

• auburn653
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2011 19:59 #21009 by auburn653
Is pickup tube diameter only difference between SC, 8 cyl, 6 cyl ? Don't they all use the same tank (34-36)?

• auburn653
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2011 19:55 #21008 by auburn653
3435A would be a non-supercharged Sedan, frame number 2435.

if frame 435, and supercharged, wouldn't it be 31435A?
Curt, can you confirm?

• red.auburn851
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2011 19:03 #21007 by red.auburn851
Replied by red.auburn851 on topic VIN numbers on Auburns
Curt:

So is the numbering always like that. My number is 3435A. Does that mean 3 plus the 435th made?

Thanks,

Marcus

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2011 12:12 #21004 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Re: SC Fuel Tank Unit

Rogerlearmonth wrote: Thank you Mark, I'd be very grateful. Do you perchance have a tank unit for sale?

On a different topic, we are about to take off the paint today and I'm as nervous as a kitten as I think my chassis no seems to be one of the earliest around (32910E) and I'm very concerned about disturbing the lead on the body tub (if it?s there).

Roger

Your serial number on the dataplate equates as follows :
The first 3 designates a supercharged car
the 2910 is the 1,910th 851 to come off the line in 1935 out of a total of 2986. The number on the dataplate is 1,000 more than the frame number.
I sent you an email.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Rogerlearmonth
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2011 08:43 #21003 by Rogerlearmonth
Replied by Rogerlearmonth on topic SC Fuel Tank Unit
Thank you Mark, I'd be very grateful. Do you perchance have a tank unit for sale?

On a different topic, we are about to take off the paint today and I'm as nervous as a kitten as I think my chassis no seems to be one of the earliest around (32910E) and I'm very concerned about disturbing the lead on the body tub (if it?s there).

Roger

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
19 Sep 2011 21:47 #21002 by ilikescars
S/C car has a larger diameter pickup tube than a standard. I will find a spare unit and send you some specs. (Unless another member can do it before me)
Mark

• Rogerlearmonth
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
19 Sep 2011 20:17 #21001 by Rogerlearmonth
Replied by Rogerlearmonth on topic 851 SC fuel tank unit
Glen,

Thanks for the response, I won?t get into a semantic discussion but I guess we all know what I mean. The tank unit sends information about the fuel level to the gauge. I?m not sure that the fact it does so hydrostatically as opposed to electrically is relevant. In any event I have been offered a unit for a Duesenberg and wonder if it can be adapted for an 851 SC Auburn. Any images or dimensions would be appreciated. I believe that Ford used a similar device.

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
19 Sep 2011 13:37 #20998 by ilikescars
Roger: It's not a sending unit: No float or electrical device. Only a pickup tube and an air-tube for the King-Seeley gauge on the dash.

• Rogerlearmonth
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
17 Sep 2011 09:10 #20990 by Rogerlearmonth
851 SC Fuel Gauge was created by Rogerlearmonth
I am UK based and a new 851 SC owner: Chassis number 32910E; engine number GH3686. I joined the club on-line but have received nothing to date. I wonder if anyone can help my quest for information. When I acquired the car, the gas gauge was in the dash but there was no tube. I don?t know if the tank unit is in place without dropping the tank, which I will do in the next few days. Can anyone send me a picture or drawing of the sender unit with dimensions. I would be most grateful. <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

Thank you for your help.

Roger