Skip to main content

I've been offered an Auburn...

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
17 Oct 2003 19:34 #911 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Re: REPO SPEEDSTERS
My comments on acceptance is that since the materials (fiberglass) aren't from the depression era that none of the antique car clubs judge them and to my knowledge, the ACD Club is the only one that even allows them on the same grounds. They are nice and fun but sometimes you get a very cold shoulder.

Stan

MICHAEL S SMITH wrote: I THINK GLEN MADE UNDER 20 OF THESE BODIES ALL OF THEM PROBABLY USED JUST AS THIS ONE IS. STAN MIGHT NOT KNOW OF ANY CLUB THAT ACCEPTS THEM BUT IF YOU GO TO AUBURN USUALLY A GOOD NUMBER OF THE 31 33 SPEEDSTERS ARE PREY BODIES, AND FEW PEOPLE KNOW THE DIFFERENCE, AS FENDERS AND HOOD AND RUNNING BOARDS ARE STEEL OFF ORIGINAL CAR.DON'T LET ON TO STAN BECAUSE HE IS VERY INTERESTED IN WHAT CARS ARE ALLOWED IN "HIS" CLUB.
THANKS
MIKE

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Al Hatch
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
17 Oct 2003 12:32 #904 by Al Hatch
Replied by Al Hatch on topic I've been offered an Auburn...
Mike and Wayne,

Regarding Mike's comments; the ACD Club does have a class for non-orginal cars that may have fiberglass bodies or non-orginal drive trains and they are welcome at all of our mini-meets and annual reunion in Auburn. The owners of these cars have the same voting privileges as any other member has. The only difference is that the club does not judge these cars. I suppose if someone rebodies a '31-'33 Auburn with a fiberglass body and enters it in for judging and the judges does not catch the fact of the fiberglass body then shame on the judges.

At any rate, it is whatever turns you on, I have seen a number of these examples and all of them have looked good. All you have to do is keep in mind what will the end product be worth in relation to the total investment. If it is greater then go for it; if not, you may want to think about it. By the way, this is not 'Stan's Club' as Mike has stated. Stan has kept the best interest of the Club at the forefront and a lot can be said for that.

Al Hatch, BOD member and PNP

• MICHAEL S SMITH
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
16 Oct 2003 18:13 #898 by MICHAEL S SMITH
Replied by MICHAEL S SMITH on topic REPO SPEEDSTERS
I THINK GLEN MADE UNDER 20 OF THESE BODIES ALL OF THEM PROBABLY USED JUST AS THIS ONE IS. STAN MIGHT NOT KNOW OF ANY CLUB THAT ACCEPTS THEM BUT IF YOU GO TO AUBURN USUALLY A GOOD NUMBER OF THE 31 33 SPEEDSTERS ARE PREY BODIES, AND FEW PEOPLE KNOW THE DIFFERENCE, AS FENDERS AND HOOD AND RUNNING BOARDS ARE STEEL OFF ORIGINAL CAR.DON'T LET ON TO STAN BECAUSE HE IS VERY INTERESTED IN WHAT CARS ARE ALLOWED IN "HIS" CLUB.
THANKS
MIKE

MICHAEL S SMITH ACD LIFE MEMBER #40
851 auburn phaeton
851 auburn sedan
810 cord westchester
812 cord phaeton(ex Tressler Swiss)
812 cord custom s/c beverly
812 cord s/c cabriolet
812 cord s/c beverly
80 866 speedster (pray factory built)

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
23 Sep 2003 16:55 #807 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic '32 8-100
There is some interest in the 1931-33 Auburn original sheetmetal and chassis with the fiberglass boattail body. However, no car club accepts them so it is only something for fun. I think you could find an old sedan for less than $10K and those bodies weren't all that expensive. I've seen these sell as finished cars for $25-45K. I guess it's how bad you want to play with one?

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Wayne
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
23 Sep 2003 02:25 #803 by Wayne
Replied by Wayne on topic Offer Update
Finally got directly ahold of the owner tonight. Turns out it is a '32 Speedster 8-100 with many spare parts collected over the last two decades. Rest of info on target. I will be meeting with the owner this weekend.

Wayne

• Wayne
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
21 Sep 2003 21:46 #799 by Wayne
I've been offered an Auburn... was created by Wayne
Howdy y'all,

A friend here in town knows a fellow in a not-too-distant city who is into street rods. However, about 30 years ago he purchased a '35-36 Auburn that is a genuine factory chassis and drive train but from the cowl back it has a reproduction speedster body installed by the previous owner. Because of the time frame here, am I correct that almost has to be a Glenn Prey speedster body or were there others by 1975??.

The car is semi-presentable and will turn over. He has been going to Hershey most years during this time and picked up many spare parts. His asking price is $25,000. Do I take the trip up to see this car or is he high for a genuine chassis/drivetrain with the Prey speedster body?

Any help or comments appreciated. I don't have photos here yet.

Wayne Graefen