Skip to main content

1934-1936 Battery Box Cover

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
24 Mar 2004 18:39 #1484 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic 1934-1936 Battery Box Cover
Never having one in my hand it is difficult to say exactly.
I have a original floor board with some of the metal still attached.
I don't think it had a pull handle. I would reproduce the cover if I could get a good sample.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lycoming-8
  • Registered
More
21 Mar 2004 05:06 #1466 by Lycoming-8
Replied by Lycoming-8 on topic 1934-1936 Battery Box Cover
Much of the mechanical and somewhat hidden parts and pieces of the Auburns didn't change much from the previous series '31 - '33 cars. On the chance that they were the same, the battery cover for my '31 coupe has a piece of wood about the same thickness as the rest of the cab floor, with a spring loaded ball retainer that pops into a rounded out spot on the surrounding wood. Looks like there might have been a lifter strap at one time or another fastened to the top.

'31 Auburn Coupe

• James K. Ray
  • Registered
More
20 Mar 2004 20:48 #1462 by James K. Ray
Replied by James K. Ray on topic 1934-1936 Battery Box Cover
CURT: Did you ever get the information you needed about the battery box cover? If not, I may be able to help. My 1936 sedan (for which I've bought a number of parts from you) was mostly original when I purchased it. I don't know for certain if it's original, but the cover over the battery box -- which is pretty worn -- is a 10" by 15" piece of "fiberboard" about 3/32" thick. It has a short, flat, woven cotton (?) finger strap riveted to the top to aid in lifting it off. It's larger than the recessed lip of the battery opening in the floorboard, so it just lays there with nothing to hold it precisely in place, other than the fact that it looks as though it might have been pressed into a shape that helps keep it located.

Jim Ray

• samsonized
  • Registered
More
22 Sep 2003 23:41 #802 by samsonized
Replied by samsonized on topic battery cover
i do not have one of those but i will keep my eyes open for you

• Curti
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
22 Sep 2003 12:01 #801 by Curti
Replied by Curti on topic 1934-1936 Battery Box Cover
Mike, the battery on 34-36 Auburns hang down under the passenger seat. This creates a hole the size of the battery in the floor board. There was some kind of cover ( I suspect metal) that was slightly raised, and held in place by turning a tab over the edge of it. This tab is the same thing that old houses used to retain the storms and screens in the window opening.
It is difficult to describe something I have never seen . :D

• samsonized
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2003 12:24 #795 by samsonized
Replied by samsonized on topic battery box cover
curt is it in the floor of the car is it wood or metal i have several wood ones from the floors but do not know what year they are for

• Curti
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
17 Sep 2003 14:42 #780 by Curti
1934-1936 Battery Box Cover was created by Curti
Does any one have a original battery box cover, and be willing to make a drawing of it ? or loan it for reproduction ? :D