howdy all you lycoming 8's out there--how hot is hot

• Lee
  • Lee's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
26 Aug 2003 04:56 #716 by Lee
Lee created the topic: howdy all you lycoming 8's out there--how hot is hot
Okay, I bought a late model gauge to check my temp as I drive--i admit it. So i go crusing to discover I am running at 200 to 212. I get nervous about all this because of the old days of my ford flatheads, that would mean blowing a radiator or hose when I shut down.

Now I go to my special radiator guy about the problem and he says, "Well with today's antifreeze it won't boil till around 250 unpressurized, cars run at 200+, don't worry about all this." That makes me feel really good, but is it true? what temps do your cars run at on an 90 degree day?

I know, check the thermostat--it is okay. just checking to see if other people are running warmer with antifreeze?

Hi Curt--glad to see your active on the site, but I never get those individual emails from ya any more--Lee

think driver; look at others

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Curti
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Aug 2003 12:35 #717 by Curti
Curti replied the topic:
Hi Lee :
Hay, I sent you a email a couple of months ago, inquireing if you were going to the festival this year. I was also wondering if you ever got the dash castings fixed.
My phaeton (stock original gage) runs at 160. However, when I shut it off on a hot day, I can hear it boiling . If I fill the rad full, It will puke out a certin amount of coolent until it reaches a 'comfortable level' whatever that is. :D

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
05 Sep 2003 16:17 #745 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Auburn/Cord Parts replied the topic: Operating Temps
Lee-

I don't care if it is a Lycoming in a Auburn or a Cord, you need to get the temperature down to 175-190 degrees. Check the radiator flow - a [u:3hpvqjaa]good[/u:3hpvqjaa] radiator shop can do this. You may also need the tanks removed and the core cleaned or replaced. Also, the engine must be in good operating condition - not running lean or have problems/leaks with the water pump. You may have several problems at the same time. Slow timing and a dirty carb can add to the heat problem too.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds