Skip to main content

8-100 Brakes ll

• PushnFords
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
18 Aug 2003 21:11 #656 by PushnFords
Replied by PushnFords on topic Replacement Brake Lining

Lycoming-8 wrote: Where did you get the lining material? Is it in one piece for the whole, almost 300 + degrees of shoe to be lined?

Replacement style brake lining is usually sold on a roll in different widths and/or thicknesses. The best way would be to have your drums turned and then measured so you know the overbore. Then find a brake lining that is thick enough to compensate and still have material left when arced to the drum. You'll have to find a old time brake shop to do it.......there are still a few out there. Might check heavy truck/industrial shops too although their linings will likely be too thick. Finding the lining material can be difficult, and finding someone to arc them can be harder. Most of it contains asbestos so many places won't arc them - but it is essential for a good stopping car.

Derek

PS - Also check with restoration shops. Especially ones that deal with similar cars as yours. They've already searched for suppliers and will save you time albeit with a price markup.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lycoming-8
  • Registered
More
18 Aug 2003 03:46 #645 by Lycoming-8
Replied by Lycoming-8 on topic 8-100 Brakes ll
Mike,

Where did you get the lining material? Is it in one piece for the whole, almost 300 + degrees of shoe to be lined?

Thanks, Robert

'31 Auburn Coupe

• Mike Dube
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
18 Aug 2003 01:35 #643 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic 8-100 Brakes ll
It turned out to be the shoe centralizing adjustment that I missed. Tho the "star" adjusters as loose as they will go, so I guess the shoes are a little too think. I'll put some miles on and do it again.

Thanks

Mike

Mike
8-100A

• Lycoming-8
  • Registered
More
16 Aug 2003 04:11 #636 by Lycoming-8
Replied by Lycoming-8 on topic 8-100 Brakes ll
Mike,

It is very likely that the linings are just a little thick. If that is the case, they can be carefully sanded down to fit. I have seen this fix posted in Model - A forums and for disc brake pads on modern Mercedes. Hope it is this simple.

Robert

'31 Auburn Coupe

• Mike Dube
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
14 Aug 2003 23:28 #629 by Mike Dube
8-100 Brakes ll was created by Mike Dube
Well, the new shoes are back on the car, as are the drums and wheels. I have the "star" adjusters as loose as I can get them, and still, the drums won't turn. The adjustment of the rods isn't supposed to affect this as I understand it, and the clearances at the center pins looked ok. This is the first car I've had with mechanical brakes. HELP!!!!

Mike

Mike
8-100A