Skip to main content

Wheel removal

More
18 Jun 2006 07:47 #4985 by bob hale
Replied by bob hale on topic Wheel removal
Hello. I have an Auburn 898 1931. Can you tell me how thick the spokes should be. I Need some.. Thank. Bob in England..

Regards,
Bob Hale

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Brad Hoskins
  • Registered
More
18 Jun 2006 06:05 #4984 by Brad Hoskins
Replied by Brad Hoskins on topic Pulling rear hubs
I have read on other sites that one can loosen the hubs off the tapers by backing the axle castle nuts off a turn or two, reinstalling the cotter key and then driving around the block a few times. I think you have to change direction to loosen both sides!

Since our car was apart when we got it ( still is ), we ended up taking the four nuts off the back side of the backing plate/differential and sliding the whole thing out as a unit. There is a safety retainer ring on the inside to hold the bolt heads. Then you can get the whole thing in a press and go to work. Makes a nasty noise when it comes loose!

31 8-98 cabriolet

• mason maynard
  • Registered
More
17 Jun 2006 15:42 #4982 by mason maynard
Replied by mason maynard on topic final brake adjustment
i'm back. final adjustment is best made by driving the car in a remote area and using a hand held digital pyrometer. the objective is to get the brake drums as a pair to read the same tempeture. i like the rear to run a little cooler. i stop my car from 30 mph and get a reading. if you followed the manual you will be close. but it is hard to judge the drag. what i use is a small antique hanging type scale. 50 # drag on front 40#rear. be careful the hook on these is kind of sharp. as i wrote the drum temp will be very close. get them within 10 degrees and you will be very happy. mm

• mason maynard
  • Registered
More
17 Jun 2006 15:28 #4981 by mason maynard
Replied by mason maynard on topic pulling rear hubs
good luck will be with you if your hubs pull off with the factory puller. if you do try to use one first do this. clean and lubricate the threads with the lubricant tha is provided with AARP studs, which are useed in high performance engines. it is by far the best lube for this extremely high load application. it is provided in small foil packs. anyone building engines will have several extras. use this lube on all pullers. apply heat to hub. assuming the hubs did not come off... next drill the correct size hole to tap the hubs for a reall heavy duty puller. drill these holes close to the center of the hub so they will be hidden by the optional caps. i don't have my car here now but i'll guess these holes will be in a circle 5 or 6 inch diameter. use strong bolts to fasten the puller to the hub . this will pull the hubs, i can assure you. another tip i will pass on, find a spring that will assist the tired factory return spring on the brake shoes. the clearance specified in the manual on clearance from brake shoe to anchor pin must be the same every time, and i mean every time. on my front spring i have 2 helper springs. these spring were found by going thru a collecion so happpy hunting. lube the rear axle bearings. if you clean the axle shafts real good the long surface (85 percent) will slightly surface rust over time. we don't want that. spray it with a long time rust prevservative. now how can we balance the wheel , tube, tire, and brake drum assembly? on an engine balancer, no problem whatsoever. my worst assembly was 1# 4 oz. off. if i can be of any more help , or anyone needs a good laugh call me @ 708 672 7048

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
12 Jun 2006 16:23 #4953 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic puller
Lance: I have the puller you're looking for. It's threaded for screwing onto the hub. I can send it to you N/C.

Mark

• Lance
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
12 Jun 2006 03:02 #4952 by Lance
Replied by Lance on topic Wheel removal
Thanks Mike
I figured that some sort of puller was in order . I think that I have something figured out that will get the (artillery) wheels off. I was also going to my local Napa tomorrow with brakes in hand. I'm extremely lucky to have this NAPA down the street. They been here since the 50s (same owners)and have never thrown out a reference book . I have three other vehicles (from the 50's 40s and 30s) and these guys actually have sold me some NOS parts that they have had for 50 years.
Can someone tell me the original artillery wheel color scheme? What color was the spokes(natural wood?) and what color was the attached brake drum? Thanks Lance

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
12 Jun 2006 00:06 #4951 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Wheel removal
Hello Lance,

Is it safe to assume you have the artillery wheels? The removal of the rear wheels/drums is a little different for the two wheel types.

For artillery wheels, you will need a puller that threads onto the external hubcap threads. Not an easy thing to find, tho others may have some ideas on that. I'm not sure about whether or not the hubcap threads are different from right to left side of the car, others can answer that too. The center lock wire wheels detach from the drums and I have used a special gear puller (Posi-Lock) to get the rear drums off, tho again there is a tool (or tools) that internally threads into the knock-off threads. I say tools here, because the threads for the knock offs are different from right to left side. The Posi-Lock doesn't care about the threads, which is why I picked it, and it has worked repeatedly and well. In either event, there is a key as you noted, and the axle end is tapered.

You may be able to get your local NAPA store to re-line the shoes, thats what I did. They did a great job, matched the original pattern, and thickness, and did it fast. If you prefer, there are companies offering relining services that advertise in Hemmings and the like. Get to know the old car folks in your area, they will give you the scoop.

If you haven't done this type of thing before (adjusting mechanical brakes), you will probably have the drums off a few times during the course of it, getting them dialed in. It isn't rocket science, but it is foreign to most of us these days.

Good luck!

PS: This would also be the time to make sure your bearings and seals are in good shape.

Mike
8-100A

• Lance
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 Jun 2006 15:26 #4948 by Lance
Wheel removal was created by Lance
Well now that all things electric are functioning its now time to do brakes. The front rims came right off. The rears are a different story . I suspect this is common. Is there an easy way to get the rears off ...Or do I spend another weekend putting my marriage in jeopardy. It appears that there is a square key and a dimple at the end of the axle . However I do not see any lip to attach any type of puller to. Any tips ....suggestions?
Lance
1931 8-98A sedan(on jackstands)
PS Is there someone who relines brakes?